Why did you join Leonardo?
I joined as a graduate in 1996, after completing my degree at Glasgow University. I was keen to join the company’s Graduate Programme, as it provided on-the-job-training and the opportunity to work on the Captor-M Radar for the Eurofighter with highly skilled engineers. The team environment was very supportive and this ethos still exists in today's business.
What does your job entail?
I’m the Project Engineering Manager on the Gripen programme (Raven ES-05 Radar). I love my job because it's challenging, interesting and above all, allows me to engage with a wide variety of highly skilled individuals who are dedicated to making and delivering a high-quality product. My job involves:
- Engineering management ensuring effective communication mechanisms are established
- Adoption of Agile techniques to improve efficiency/delivery
- Establish key milestones for system and sub-system deliverables
- Establish Key interfaces to support Product Integration
- Manage compliance of the design solution with customer requirements
- Ensure preventative or corrective action is taken to address Non-Conformance (potential or actual)
- Review and resolve Technical/ Programme conflicts in partnership with the Design Authority/ Chief Engineer
- Contract Status Reviews
- Design Reviews – manage process
- Managing the interface between Design and Production
What do you like most about your job?
I like the variety my job gives me; every day is different and I enjoy engaging with people across the business. I feel a sense of ownership in my position and I'm committed to getting the most out of every situation for the business.
Why would you recommend someone works for Leonardo?
Leonardo is a great company to join for many reasons. It's an innovative, dynamic engineering company with a talented workforce at its core. The company benefits allow a good work-life balance and this has allowed me to enjoy two year-long maternity leaves and continue with my career seamlessly each time I've returned. The training provided is second to none and there’s so much support given from experienced engineers. Last but not least, Edinburgh is a beautiful city to work and live in.