The aerospace sector has been accused of suffering from gender disparity, something that the industry is working extremely hard to bring balance to. However, more can always be done.
On June 23 2022, the second AeroWomen event will take place in an online/in-person hybrid format. AeroWomen is an event organised by Leonardo’s female trainees, hosted by Leonardo’s Yeovil site, for women in, and wanting to join the sector. AeroWomen22 will build on the success of last year’s inaugural event. The global pandemic caused last year’s event to be solely virtual nevertheless, it was a great success with year 12 students joining from across the UK and speakers and panellists ranging from across the sector; Aerospace Technology Institute, Airbus, Boeing, Leonardo and Women in Defence.
AeroWomen provides an excellent networking opportunity between those women who have established careers in Aerospace, as well as a platform for the future generation to meet potential employers and understand that there is space for them in the sector.
The event aims to:
- Showcase and celebrate the diversity of Women in Aerospace
- Invite women in industry to share their career paths, highlighting the plethora of different ways that a woman can be successful in this sector
- Deliver a set of pragmatic and engaging workshops to promote the skills needed to have a purposeful and successful career in aerospace
- Educate all attendees
- Increase diversity in the candidates who apply for roles in the sector - at all levels and stages of their career
- Create an association of Women in Aerospace that exists beyond the event, in the form of an invitation-only LinkedIn group that will offer solidarity and networking for all involved
Beyond the event itself, AeroWomen22 hopes to create a cross-generational networking group, inclusive of those at all stages of their career. The ambition is for the network group will continue to grow and develop over the coming years, providing support and guidance to those with aspirations to be part of the future of aerospace.
The agenda for the day will consist of:
- Special guest speakers from women in aerospace who will share their experiences within the industry
- Panel and Q&A session discussing what it means to be a female in engineering
- Workshops for all guests, to encourage the development of skills required for a successful career in aerospace
After the event, each attendee will be invited to join a group on LinkedIn that is exclusively for women in the sector to allow networks to continue to expand.
Keep an eye on the AeroWomen22 Instagram channel, where the team will be announcing the speakers in the run-up to the event.